Saturday 24 September 2011

Weekend under lights- Singapore

Friday..
Just had breakfast at 2pm...the hotel is catering for the teams..although I was the only one in the dining room.....six waiters all looking at me , watching my every move and very keen indeed to tell me about their encounter with Schumacher yesterday...
Yesterday was a full busy day in the City and the track.
I needed to find some fabric for my paintings, was told to go to Arab Street area near Raffles Hotel...wow  what a beautiful street laden with fabrics from all over Asia..I found one shop with local material..although local....this means a hybrid of  Malay and Indonesian..a very rich material of colour and beautiful floral designs, had a lovely chat with the lady owner.. who I must say wasn't happy when I told her I was going to cut up the fabric for my artwork!  Sacrilege!...she said....
She had many opinions about the Grand Prix too..saying that the cheapest tickets were too expensive for the locals..around £75.
Opposite her shop was the Main Mosque in this old part of the City..doesn't seems to be in evidence much ...just like Kuala Lumpur and Shanghai..the old quarters are barely noticeable...I cant help feeling that the spirit of the City dissipates with the suffocation of these historic ares of the City.
Hopefully in my Artwork I can show a little of this spirit alongside the impressive modern architecture and the beauty of Formula 1.....that's my note to self!..
When I arrived at the track the crowds were amassing...every fan seemed to carry the biggest camera!.
As I walked around the inner track wearing my Tabard as an official photographer...I could feel the crowds long lenses almost touching my face...now I have lens envy from the spectators!!
So funny they are a creative lot these F1 crowds...because it's a street circuit the barriers are all blacked out with sheeting so the non paying citizens cant watch for free...one see lots of holes cut in the sheeting with lenses poking through..with 2 little holes for the eyes!...
I received a call from the CEO's office to come straight away....not easy sprinting down the track..especially with these long lenses poking me in the face!!
So nice when all goes well ....Managed to get the CEO and Deputy Chairman of the circuit to write there piece first..they spoke about the unique atmosphere the night race has....absolutely correct!...amazing..Then the Dep Chairman Mr Syn....great name!...took me upto their suite in the Paddock Club where I met Mr E's girlfriend..told her about my work ..she had seen some before with Mr E...that's always a nice surprise when people know your work!...I was then introduced to the Minister for Trade ...he's also the Minister for the PM's office...they call him Mr 2M!...
He wrote a nice piece too..just as his food was getting cold!...
Mr Syn was so helpful..so nice!   ...Syn can be good!!
His assistant Joyce..curiously English name was also great..infact this eve she will introduce me to the CEO of Singtel, the Main Sponsor of the race.....
Well it's 4pm now..time to go to the circuit......

No comments:

Post a Comment